Read our latest newsletter:
Frome College Blooms Frome College’s ‘Grow It Cook It’ students have won a prestigious gold award and a trophy in this year’s Frome In Bloom competition. Course leader Emma Hurst said “I am so proud of the students. When the academic year was winding down for everyone else, things were heating up in the garden for the ‘Grow It Cook It’ students. They battled the high temperatures and low levels of rainfall so the garden was at its best for not only this event, but also Frome Hidden Gardens.
Spectacular GCSE & BTEC Results We are incredibly proud of the achievements and progress of all of our students as we receive a spectacular set of GCSE and BTEC results today. Our young people have shown great resilience, determination and dedication to their studies and richly deserve these achievements. Our success is grounded in the strong relationships fostered at this college, the dedication of all our staff, consistent high- quality teaching and support from our families. Frome College Governors and I would like to thank parents, carers, staff and students for such a successful year in the face of unprecedented disruption.
Summer School 2022 During August, we welcomed some of our upcoming Year9 students for a week long Summer School. They enjoyed trips out, archery, swimming, team building games and getting to know the College grounds. The final day was full of creativity and team work with our Art department. This is what parents had to say - " We just wanted to say a huge thank you for Summer School.
Remarkable Resilience Produces Exceptional A Level Results Congratulations to everyone who has received exam results this week and on making it through an incredibly tough two years. Students were unable to sit GCSE examinations in 2020 and so this summer’s exams were their first external assessments. The resilience our students have shown under such conditions is remarkable. In previous years individual students have been singled out for praise but this year we have so many students who have performed so well, this would be an exceptionally long list!
English Residential to Stratford upon Avon In June and July the English department took students to Stratford upon Avon for a residential trip. Students from years 9, 10 and 11 attended a pre-performance lecture by Dr Darren Freebury-Jones at Hall’s Croft the adult home of Shakespeare’s daughter Susanna, and her husband, a prominent physician of the town. Dr Freebury-Jones (a lecturer in Shakespeare studies) offered illuminating insights into the historical context of the play Richard III as well as taking us through the historical performance history of the play and our students contributed to the talk with perceptive observations and insights. The highlight of the trip was watching actor Arthur Hughes playing the part of Richard III in the 1000 seat Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
In early May, Year 10s had a fantastic opportunity to practice their interviewing skills with the help of volunteers from local organisations across various industries, such as the Rotary Club, Frome Town Council, Dorothy House, Harris & Harris, and Wessex Water. We are incredibly appreciative that they gave us their time, expertise, and community spirit – thank you! Questions such as “What do you look for when choosing a job?”, “How are you going to achieve the skills you need?” and “What would others say are your greatest strengths?” were asked, to encourage proactive and engaging responses. The interviewers gave valuable feedback.
16-25 Book Club Elizabeth from the ‘16-25 Book Club’, aimed at young adults, came in to introduce the club to our students. The club meets up at 7pm on the third Thursday of the month at the Bridge Cafe, Selwood Road as they “want to see young people in Frome connect through the weird and wonderful world of literature”. For more information, visit 1625bookclub.wixsite.com/1625bookclub Murder mystery Each House was allocated a day to solve ‘Murder by the Book’. Students used their problem-solving skills to help Sherlock determine not only who was the killer, but why and how they did it.
Gareth Everton, Sam Rottenbury and John Verwey all got Gold in round one of the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge in February, qualifying for the Kangaroo round! This puts them in the top 8% of all participants - an amazing achievement! To achieve this certificate of merit they needed to be in the top 25% of entries for this second round. The boys will also take part in the Senior Maths Challenge next year.
We were very excited when Frome Town Council featured the College in their annual busking event! On Saturday 26th March, our students filled the streets of Frome with music (Rock, Pop, Blues and beyond!) during three glorious hours in the sunshine. They performed in various location across town: the Valentine’s Lamp, Stoney Street, Boyle Cross, Westway, Cheap Street, King Street, Black Swan Arts, Cheese & Grain. There was also a entertaining afterparty/jam session at 23 Bath Street in the afternoon, which members of the public were welcome to come and watch.
Thank you so much to the Year 6 CSI investigators from Oakfield Academy for investigating the ‘break in’ of Ms Reynolds’ office. It was shocking who committed the crime! We are looking forward to welcoming the next group from Oakfield and Avanti Park school later in the year for some fun CSI-based science at Frome College. A good time was had by all analysing mysterious chemicals, blood spatters and more!
- Frome College Blooms
- Spectacular GCSE & BTEC Results
- Summer School 2022
- Remarkable Resilience Produces Exceptional A Level Results
- English Residential to Stratford upon Avon
- Year 10 Mock Interviews 2022
- Book Week 2022
- Intermediate Mathematical Challenge 2022
- Frome Busks
- CSI-themed Science Workshop for Oakfield Students
- National Grid STEM Day
- Year 13 ‘Debut’ exhibition
- Einstein House charity marathon
- Rotary Young Leadership Award 2022
- Caribbean Dance Workshops
- County Swimming Successes
- Fundraisers for Ukrainian Refugees
- Willow Memorial Sculpture to Remember 'Titch'
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 3 2021-22
- Year 8 Options Evening 2022
- Valentine's Day 2022 Treats!
- The Progressive Change Society Magazine
- Floor and Vault - South West and Nationals
- Year 10 Work Experience 2022
- The Prometheus Business Studies Award
- Maddie Hobbs Joins British Canoeing's Talent Programme
- CyberCenturion, BEBRAS, and Oxford University Coding Challenge
- Spanish Duolingo Challenge
- Primary School Science Visits
- Literacy Logo
- Take Part in the Last Sapling Dreaming Art Project
- Frome College Becomes Part of the Queen’s Green Canopy
- Senior Mathematics Challenge
- Christmas Concert 2021
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 2 2021-22
- Maths Competitions Term 2 2021-22
- Year 11 Mock Results 2021
- Workshops and Talks - Term 2 2021-22
- 16 New Homes for our Feathered Friends
- Stourhead 75th Anniversary Art Workshop
- 500 Trees Planted by Frome College!
- Festive Windows on Site
- Cadets Taster Field Days at HMS Collingwood
- A Magical Trip to the Harry Potter Studio Tour
- Remembrance Day 2021
- Christmas Exhibition for Staff and Students
- Restoration of Museum Images
- Please Help Us Get Funding for Mr Titchener's Memorial Sculpture
- Student Photo Wins Prestigious Award
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 1 2021-22
- Year 10 Bronze Practice Expedition 2021
- Poetry Workshop at Frome Library
- Centenary Church Service
- Centenary Exhibition at Frome Museum
- Great Big Green Week
- Summer School 2021