Read our latest magazine, 'Frome College Matters':
Things are going swimmingly for our students who are part of Frome Swimming Club! The results are in from when they swam at the Counties in February: Gareth Everton - Gold 1500 Free, Bronze 800 Free, finalist 200 Free. Alisha Freeman - Silver 50 Back, Bronze 100 Back, Bronze 50 Fly, finalist 50 Breast and 100 Breast Bethan Davis - finalist 50 Fly and 100 Fly and 100 IM Jonas Fisher - finalist 200 Breast They were joined in the relays by Alastair Everton, Beth Cowing, Darcey Evans and Mia Poole. Hot chocolate with the Principal Jonas had a hot chocolate with Principal Emma Reynolds on behalf of Frome Swimming Club.
Frome College would like to give a big thank you to all the karaoke singers, footballers and spectators who participated in and contributed towards fundraisers on 9 th March, in aid of Ukrainian refugees. Musical talent shone through during the karaoke, with entrants and audience members donating £1 each. Songs such as At Last! , All You Need Is Love , and I Want to Break Free were performed by student soloists, a staff group, and a hilarious combination of both!
As part of the Rewilding Frome College project (funded by the Project 100 initiative), the Eco-Schools Council have been working hard to develop the College site, to support and encourage species biodiversity. Having completed the planting of a new meadow area in term one, the EcoSchool Council have turned their attention to supporting our feathered friends. It is estimated that there are 19 million fewer pairs of breeding birds in the UK compared to the late 1960s (according to the RSPBSUKB 2020 report). We have built 16 new birdboxes of various sizes to support the lives of the birds on site, such as robins and sparrows.
Students have been assisting artist Sarah Gallagher-Hayes to create a living willow sculpture on site in memory of David ‘Titch’ Titchener, who was a valued member of the Frome College community for 34 years as a Science Teacher and Caretaker. The sculpture has such a likeness to Titch, as he was often seen moving items around site with his faithful trolley. Passing staff who knew and loved working with Titch also contributed by weaving lengths of willow into the form, adding their contribution and personal touches to this lasting artwork. The artist, Sarah (left), trained in sculpture at Southampton University and the world famous Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice.
The following students were nominated to have a hot chocolate and a chat about their achievements and ambitions with Principal Emma Reynolds in term 3... Spencer Sale, Will Swift and Toby George Thank you for laying down wood chippings under the canopy. Over the winter, the flooring became too slippery to walk on, and had to be replaced by a safer surface. Gardener Jon Pincombe says “They worked very hard as there was tons to move around”.
With the relaxation of restrictions, we were delighted to invite Year 8 families from Selwood Academy, Oakfield Academy and Avanti Park School to a talk in the Merlin Theatre, and tour around our beautiful College site to see facilities within each department. This provided a chance for parents and pupils to meet the Senior Leadership Team and ask questions about the options process. We wish the upcoming Year 9s the best of luck in getting their chosen subjects for when they join us in September 2022.
In the lead up to Valentine’s Day, students and staff could buy Valentine’s chocolates, Love Hearts sweets, and fabric roses for the special people in their life for £1 each. They could also send messages of love, thanks, support and friendship. ‘Cupid’ delivered around £150’s worth of goodies during tutor time – the funds will be donated to Aristotle House’s charity, Young Somerset. Young Somerset works with young people regarding alternative learning provisions and enterprise, as well as emotional wellbeing and metal health support.
The College’s Progressive Change Society aims to educate everyone in school on how they can create a more inclusive environment. The group has started to produce magazines with a new topic each issue - the first being about racism, and the next about the LGBTQIA+ community. A digital version is found on the Student Dashboard on Frog, and printed copies are in Futures. £1 donations, which go to the charities ROTA (Racism on the Agenda) and Runnymede, are encouraged.
South West Well done to Melissa Carbine, Erika Geddes, Menna Lewis and Hattie Smith for coming fourth place in the South West Schools Floor and Vault! A great achievement with their limited training time, and their routines were described as “lovely”. As a result they have been invited to the National Finals to make up the Under 19 team for the South West. We are very proud of them!
A big thank you to all the businesses who participated in our Year 10 Work Experience on 27 and 28 January. Our students learnt so much during their time there! Here’s what some of our students got up to during Work Experience... FromeFM Amelie O’Connor, Caspar Mason-Davies, and Izzy Matthews did their Work Experience at FromeFM, where they learnt the foundations of hosting a radio show.
- Rotarians donate benches for SEND students
- 'Pledge of Respect'
- Remembrance 2022
- Rotarians Hand Over Cheque
- Open Evening is a Flaming Success!
- Frome College Blooms
- Spectacular GCSE & BTEC Results
- Summer School 2022
- Remarkable Resilience Produces Exceptional A Level Results
- English Residential to Stratford upon Avon
- Year 10 Mock Interviews 2022
- Book Week 2022
- Intermediate Mathematical Challenge 2022
- Frome Busks
- CSI-themed Science Workshop for Oakfield Students
- National Grid STEM Day
- Year 13 ‘Debut’ exhibition
- Einstein House charity marathon
- Rotary Young Leadership Award 2022
- Caribbean Dance Workshops
- County Swimming Successes
- Fundraisers for Ukrainian Refugees
- 16 New Homes for our Feathered Friends
- Willow Memorial Sculpture to Remember 'Titch'
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 3 2021-22
- Year 8 Options Evening 2022
- Valentine's Day 2022 Treats!
- The Progressive Change Society Magazine
- Floor and Vault - South West and Nationals
- Year 10 Work Experience 2022
- The Prometheus Business Studies Award
- Maddie Hobbs Joins British Canoeing's Talent Programme
- CyberCenturion, BEBRAS, and Oxford University Coding Challenge
- Spanish Duolingo Challenge
- Primary School Science Visits
- Literacy Logo
- Take Part in the Last Sapling Dreaming Art Project
- Frome College Becomes Part of the Queen’s Green Canopy
- Senior Mathematics Challenge
- Christmas Concert 2021
- Summer School 2021
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 2 2021-22
- Maths Competitions Term 2 2021-22
- Year 11 Mock Results 2021
- Workshops and Talks - Term 2 2021-22
- Stourhead 75th Anniversary Art Workshop
- 500 Trees Planted by Frome College!
- Festive Windows on Site
- Cadets Taster Field Days at HMS Collingwood
- A Magical Trip to the Harry Potter Studio Tour
- Remembrance Day 2021
- Christmas Exhibition for Staff and Students
- Restoration of Museum Images
- Please Help Us Get Funding for Mr Titchener's Memorial Sculpture
- Student Photo Wins Prestigious Award
- Hot Chocolate with the Principal Term 1 2021-22
- Year 10 Bronze Practice Expedition 2021
- Poetry Workshop at Frome Library
- Centenary Church Service
- Centenary Exhibition at Frome Museum
- Great Big Green Week